Sketching by the Sea – 7 tips for sketching with children
My grandson, Arrow, and I are on vacation over on Saturna Island this week. Yesterday was an overcast. No rain but the light was dull and lacked luster. Photography and painting en plein air just didn’t seem to be the most appealing activities to undertake. So we did a midday hike at Narvaez Bay for lunch and then went to Winter Cove for some sketching by the sea.
Here are our tips for enjoying outdoor sketching:
1. Do physical exercise first – it is much easier to sit or stand for an hour to focus on sketching after a hike. The eyes seem to be able to see better when the body can comfortably be still.
2. Use good quality materials because they are easier and the results are more satisfying.
3. Find a place that offers some privacy where people are not able to walk up behind you. If they come up beside you or in front of you, they are more likely to ask to see your work than stand lurking in the background.
4. Situate yourself at the level or in the perspective that you want to capture your subject. In the photograph above we are almost at water level and in the same relationship to the scene as I would be to photograph.
5. Sit or stand in such a position that you can see each other sketching without moving. This is extremely effective for easy conversation and learning by observation without interruption.
6. Keep the session short. When interest wanes, take a break. For example, wander around and maybe skip some rocks. Then come back to the sketching.
7. Relax and enjoy. Don’t worry about the results or giving more than very basic instruction. Children will observe and ask questions about what they need to know at that time.
Today, with a bit of luck, we shall have a chance to do some en plein air painting with oils on canvas.
SPROUT: What tip would you offer if introducing your favourite creative activity to children?
© 2012 Terrill Welch, All rights reserved.
Liberal usage granted with written permission. See “About” for details.
Purchase photography at http://www.redbubble.com/people/terrillwelch
Creative Potager – where imagination rules. Be inspired.
From Mayne Island, British Columbia, Canada
Terrill Welch online Gallery at http://terrillwelchartist.com
- ALONE BY THE SEA original oil painting by Terrill Welch (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- An interview with Terrill Welch by Charles van Heck (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- Squared to the Sea – new painting series by Terrill Welch (terrillwelchartist.com)