Midday in Navy Channel oil painting by Terrill Welch
The day was bright with shifting clouds. I was asked by a student if I would paint something in our private lesson so she could see how one might start and then work a painting through to completion. A visual and tactile learner I felt compelled to honour her request. So we worked through the usual coaching process for her to choose what she was going to paint and her learning goals. Once she was underway I set up by the open door and began to work on this piece. We broke up the session with conversation and observation of the development of each painting which were of different subject matter. I punctuated our conversation with the need to honour and develop ones own painting fingerprint even while learning technique and painting processes. Time drifted at warp speed and this small 5 x 7 inch painting study emerged from the afternoon.
I am pleased with the piece. The questions asked by the student in this interchange influenced steps that I took in its creation. For this I am thankful and appreciative because as a teacher we are also forever a student.
SPROUT: What is your best experience of sharing a creative “how to” where you learned something in a new way?
© 2012 Terrill Welch, All rights reserved.
Liberal usage granted with written permission. See “About” for details.
Purchase photography at http://www.redbubble.com/people/terrillwelch
Creative Potager – where imagination rules. Be inspired.
From Mayne Island, British Columbia, Canada
Terrill Welch online Gallery at http://terrillwelchartist.com
- RAINY DAY OUT ON THE POINT original oil painting by Terrill Welch (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- Nurturing Creativity in Children with Visual Arts (lauradaub.com)
- ROMANCING SUMMER BY THE SEA original oil painting by Terrill Welch (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- New paintings by Terrill Welch in the Artsy Home online Gallery (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- Looking Over My Shoulder in the Studio (creativepotager.wordpress.com)
- Hanging at the Bennett Bay Bistro (creativepotager.wordpress.com)